Thursday, July 7, 2011

A One-Two Punch: Tea Tree Oil

Tea Tree Oil

Tea Tree Oil's one-two punch comes from the fact that it is  both Anti-Viral AND Anti-Bacterial...killing both virus and bacteria in one punch.  (It is also an anti-fungal). I don't think there is anything better to keep your home and your skin clean and free of germs.  I use it (diluted) on any fledgling break outs on my face, but I use it the most in spray bottles to kills germs and freshen the air in my home....I spray my kitchen garbage can, keep a spray bottle by the commode, spray my mattress and sheets, my tub and sinks, I clean my toothbrush with it every so often, and use it as a bug repellent. I'm always thinking of some new use for it. You can pick it up at your local health store, or order it online.

Historically, Tea Tree Oil was used in World War I and II (before antibiotics were invented) to stave off infections.   Wikipedia has this to say, "Tea tree oil has beneficial medical properties when applied topically, including antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral action, and is also believed to have beneficial cosmetic properties. Tea tree oil is best used diluted.  It should not be ingested"   ‌http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oil

Here is a list of just some of uses for Tea Tree Oil:

1. Use a diluted dab to treat acne.
2. An anti-fungal for treating Athlete’s Foot, eczema, various yeast infections, etc.
3. An antiseptic to be used on cuts and burns.
4. An anti-viral: it may lessen the symptoms of colds and flu. Try using a few drops in the bath...or a vaporizer to loosen chest congestion (and it keeps the water sterile).
6. Use a tea tree oil rinse to control dandruff and dry scalp.
7. To freshen the air combine 12 drops of tea tree oil in 2 cups of water in a spray bottle.
8. To disinfect, add a few drops to dishwasher dispenser
9. A few drops added to each load of laundry to leave your clothes smelling cleaner.
10. Control mold with a tea tree oil/water spray.
11. To keep germs at bay, spray it on high chairs, car seats, and other high traffic spots.
12. 15 drops in a quart of water can be an effective insect repellent.  Be sure to take some with you when hiking and camping to put directly on insect bites or blisters.
13. Use a drop or two to clean your toothbrush
14. Spray on mattresses and sheets to kill dust mites.

***Please Note:  Tea tree oil should be diluted a bit before placing directly on skin, and should not be ingested.

No comments:

Post a Comment